Jacobus Nienhuys only lived here for a few years, until 1909. The building then lost its habitational function. In 1921 the Deutsche Bank bought the building and drastically changed it. They covered the courtyard to create office space and built two big bank vaults under it. The entry to the vault and the ground floor, where the kitchen once was, were covered in marble.
The rooms on the first floor, with their burl wood and oak panelled walls and beautiful ceilings, were given a different use, but remained intact. The “servants’ stairs”, adjacent to the monumental stairs, were removed to make room for sanitary facilities and smaller vaults were placed in several rooms.