NIOD/Aegis Trust Summer School in Rwanda
This summer, Aegis Trust is proudly launching its first Rwanda-based short course in conjunction with our academic partners NIOD Institute for War, Holocaust and Genocide Studies/University of Amsterdam, Mount Kenya University and University of Rwanda.
The course counts as 6 ECTS Masters level credits from the University of Amsterdam (contingent upon submission of a 5,000-word research paper) and it includes classes, field visits and lectures on:
• The origins and definitions of genocide
• Segregation and dehumanisation
• The media and genocide: inciting and reporting
• Comparative studies with other genocides – Armenia, The Holocaust, Yugoslavia and Darfur
• Testimonies from survivors, rescuers and perpetrators
• Research methods: oral history, primary sources and archives
• Peace education and reconciliation
• Genocide prevention
• Field visits to some of Rwanda’s memorial sites and onsite lectures accompanied by guides and survivors.
Course dates: 7th-18th July 2014
Course Fees: €2000. This includes hotel, breakfast and lunch, airport transfers, all travel within Rwanda, course materials and books, tuition, and memorial guides.
The application deadline is June 1st, 2014